Rama: Ready for La Nina?

06/01/10 - CEBU City Mayor-elect Michael Rama said he wants the government ready for La Niña rains, if it happens, and to check the extent of crop damage caused by the El Niño dry spell, which an official says exceeds an initial estimate of P75 million.

Rama said he will meet with head of the Deparment of Agriculture and city agriculturist on June 3 for this and discuss preparations for the rainy season.

Rama expressed support for a draft ordinance seeking to create a Cebu City Hillyland Management Board.

The proposal by Councilor Nestor Archival will be taken up in a a public hearing at 1:30 p.m. tomorrow.

Rama said it’s good to have“someone to focus on this. This would put the advocacy into action, of bringing City Hall to your doorstep, a City Hall structure of a satellite in the mountain barangays,” he said.

With the rainy season to start this month, Rama said the city needs to be prepared for flooding.

“It's a priority addressing irrigation if there would be an overflow of water, an inadequate supply or whatever. The meeting will assess how the city is faring under El Niño and how we would fare when La Niña (comes around),” Rama said.

Cebu City Agriculturist Joselito Baclayon assessed crop damage at more than their earlier estim ate of P75 million.

Meanwhile, Rama said he would like to retain the services of Legal Officer Joseph Bernaldez.

Bernaldez, who is co-terminous with the mayor, submitted his courtesy resignation yesterday to Mayor Tomas Osmeña, who accepted it.

It takes effect on July 1.

“I am desiring to have him with us,” said Rama, whose term beings July 1.

“The resignation should not be something to be worried about. I already had a very substantive talk with Attorney Bernaldez. It was a promising interaction.” He said he was just waiting for paper requirements to be submitted.

Cebu City Administrator Francisco Fernandez already submitted his resignation letter last week but has no plans to remain in City Hall. (Cebu Daily News)

0 comments:

Post a Comment