T. Padilla under state of calamity

08/14/2010 - CEBU, Philippines - The City Council yesterday placed Barangay T. Padilla under the state of calamity following the fire last Monday that left 786 families homeless.

Placing the barangay under a state of calamity would enable the city to utilize its calamity fund to assist the victims. The fire has hit two hectares, which encompasses five sitios.

“This is based on the recommendation of the city disaster coordinating council. And purpose is para makapagamit ta sa calamity fund para gastuhon sa panginahanglan sa mga nasunugan,” said Councilor Augustus Pe, proponent of the resolution that declares the barangay under a state of calamity.

He said declaring the areas under state of calamity will speed up the release of assistance to 3,346 individuals for them to “restore, revitalize and re-establish their losses.”

So far, the city has allocated a total of P15.56 million for the fire victims – P3 million for packed meals, P3 million for relief materials, P2.6 million for housing materials, P450,000 for rice provision, P1.5 million for medicines, P3 million for equipment, and P2 million for miscellaneous expenses.

In two weeks time, the city can already distribute building materials worth P5,000 to each affected family.

Relief materials like rice, canned goods, mosquito nets, pails, utensils and pots, among others, have been distributed to the victims who are temporarily sheltered in the sport centers of barangay T. Padilla and Tejero.

Engineers from the city’s Department of Engineering and Public Works have also started surveying the area for the reblocking where the city wants to widen the existing roads and provide more access roads so it will be easy for fire trucks and other emergency vehicles to pass in times of emergencies.

Reblocking must be finished before they allow the residents to rebuild their houses.

Yesterday, Governor Gwendolyn Garcia went to the sight to personally distribute food and other donations to the fire victims. T. Padilla barangay captain Michael Rallota welcomed the governor.

In a message to the fire victims, Garcia said she is moved by the present situation in the barangay. She said that if the provincial government can help other provinces, there is no reason why it cannot lend a hand to Cebu City.

Garcia said she immediately directed Provincial Social Welfare Development chief Marivic Garces to release existing supplies upon hearing of the fire.

She said helping the fire victims is also a way to show Capitol’s appreciation to residents of barangay who have helped watch over the Museo Sugbu situated just across the area.

The provincial government has given 100 sacks of NFA rice, 50 cartons of sardines, 30 cartons of noodles, 250 mats, 250 blankets, 25 cartons of powdered milk, and school supplies and clothes for children.

The donations are on top of the P5 million financial assistance the province pledged to donate to the fire victims, which will be coursed through the city government. (THE FREEMAN)



0 comments:

Post a Comment


 

Online Users and

blogspot stats
Visitors Since Aug2009