Contract with CCMC staff renewed

03/05/2011 - CEBU, Philippines - Despite the recent incident at the Cebu City Medical Center (CCMC) pediatric ward where three babies suffered burns from a bulb explosion, the Cebu City Council approved the renewal of contract of services for doctors, nurses and consultants.

Councilor Ronald Cuenco, chairman of the committee on health, said the City approved the renewal of 34 personnel for the continued operations of the city-owned hospital.

Of the 34, 14 are assigned at the pediatric ward - one training officer, one as chairman and 12 as consultants.

The City also approved the renewal of contract for the consultant at the organ imaging department, anesthesiologist, department of internal medicine, clinical pathology, research consultant, consultant of bacteriologist and infectious disease section.

With this, Mayor Michael Rama stressed that he will not close the hospital despite the call of Rep. Tomas Osmeña, who cited the incompetence and attitude problem of the personnel.

Rama insists that closing the hospital is not the solution.

“Ang damgo sa ubang local government unit nga makatag-iya og hospital unya kita diri sa Cebu City gusto natong pasirad-an,” Rama said. (Other LGUs even dream of owning their own hospital.)

Also in yesterday’s council session, Councilor Margarita “Margot” Osmeña, delivered a privileged speech assuring the executive department’s Investigation team that the council will share any needed information.

Margot explained that the investigation conducted by the City Council was primarily to check on the situation of the three babies and see to it that they have the best possible care.

The Council’s action, she explained, was in response to text messages she received last February 24 saying that the accident happened February 20.

Of the three babies, only Baby Kean Villarico suffered from third-degree burns when the goose neck lamp exploded after the tube of the nasal cannula caught fire.

There is now a recommendation to replace gooseneck lamps with halogen lamps or infrared to avoid accidents. The Council also recommends the purchase of radiant heat pads instead of radiant warmer beds.

The Council, however, did not recommend legal and punitive actions against CCMC personnel, saying that this must be “left to the discretion of the executive department’s investigation team” headed by City Administrator Jose Marie Poblete.

Councilor Edgardo Labella, chairman of the committee on laws, said people must be held accountable or liable and answer for the incident.

Rama said he is not giving the team a deadline to submit a report as he wants that everything will be done properly. (Freeman News)

0 comments:

Post a Comment