Eatery owner killed, 3 hurt in Cebu City grenade blast

04/27/2011 - CEBU CITY, Philippines—An eatery owner was killed while three other members of his family were injured, including a child, when two persons lobbed a grenade at his canteen in Gen. Maxilom Avenue this city at 1:20 p.m. Wednesday.

The police identified the fatality as Eduardo Gaviola Natividad, in his 60s, and owner of the Cita's Kan-anan (Eatery), located in Ponce 2 compound in General Maxilom Ave., Barangay Carreta, Cebu City.

Carreta Barangay (Village) Chairman Eduardo Lauron, whose house was located several meters from Natividad's eatery, said he heard a loud explosion. “I thought that a tire had burst but when I checked, a commotion had erupted,” Lauron said.

He added he heard that Natividad’s family had been under threat but the village chairman could not elaborate.

Lauron said he learned from witnesses that Natividad, upon seeing the grenade thrown at his eatery, immediately hurled his body onto it to save his family from the explosion.

Natividad was brought to the Cebu City Medical Center but he was pronounced dead on arrival.

A staff of Barangay Carreta identified the injured victims as Natividad’s wife, Cita; their son-in-law Raymond; and grandson named Mark, 3. They were brought to another hospital.

The homicide section of the Cebu City Police Office said a suspect was arrested and police, as of Wednesday afternoon, were still pursuing another suspect. (Inquirer.net)

0 comments:

Post a Comment